Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Errors on Stamps

I am no collector of errors on stamps and hence have never particularly tried to get my hands on any. The following sheet was a chance find when I was at the PO here, buying sheets to send across to some of my trade friends. I do not intend to part with it and it goes straight into my stock album of Indian miniature sheets.

Errors can be of various kinds spanning design errors and production errors, which could be further sub-classified into mirror and upside down images, letters and figures, dates and events, colour shifts, miscuts, perforation errors, errors with or in overprints. Some of these may be rare and of very high value, while some others are not so.

This one is a classic example of perforation errors on stamps. As you can see, there is a huge shift in the horizontal perforations. To see it better, I am putting up a picture of the back of the sheet too. Very interesting find.


So, am I going to venture into another area of this vast, amazing world of errors on stamps? At this point in time, I am not so sure, but such chance finds will always find place in my collection. I may, though, soon look specifically for errors in stamps of USA, UK, Canada, Australia. Or maybe, not until I have got hold of most of the regular ones from each of these countries.

Do feel free to add your thoughts, comments or suggestions
NOTE: Please click on the images for a larger view / closer look.

No comments:

Post a Comment